Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today, the world is watching....

Out of everything that I’ve done and experienced since landing in Quito a week and a half ago, maybe one of the coolest was my class of 6 convincing our Ecuadorian teacher to take us to a bar during class to watch the presidential inauguration of President Barack Obama. We sat at Mulligan’s from 10:30 to 2:30 (yes, talking in Spanish) with a crowd of other gringos to take in history. Of course, Obama’s speech was incredible, but the words that really stuck with me from the whole event was the prelude to the ceremony when that one woman politician (someone got a name for me?) said, “Today, the world is watching.” I don’t know that you can fully understand the truth of that statement unless you were watching from outside the United States. The world truly was watching. There’s a tangible hope here in Ecuador for relations between the two countries to improve under Obama, and although the inauguration was not the most important political event to Ecuadorians for the day (violent indigenous protests about a new mining law took first place), people certainly paid attention. I feel like that feeling is constant throughout the world, with every country seeing Obama as a new chance to improve relations with the U.S. and thus better their country. I mentioned to my teacher that in the U.S., it’s more common politically to view South America as one lump region and not as individual countries, and asked what would make Ecuador stand out as a country that Obama would reach out to personally. Despite having no real reason, she was still very hopeful. It’s kind of cool to see the effect Obama is having on the rest of the world.


In other news, my first midterm last week came back at 95%, and my second midterm is tomorrow. The final for Spanish 250 is next Thursday. I’m not sure I like this “test every week” thing.


Also, Omar told me the other night that there will be two big-name concerts in Quito while I’m here. I need everyone who reads this to comment with their pick of who would win in a rock-off and thus which concert I should attend: Iron Maiden’s Worldwide Farewell Tour or Carlos Santana. I know “Carlos Santana” and “rockoff” don’t generally go together, but don’t underestimate him. “Black Magic Woman” could be an ace up the sleeve.


Interesting notes on the culture of the automobile here in Ecuador (if that doesn’t interest you, skip this paragraph). Semi trucks don’t exist, and the cars are generally either sub-compacts (think Toyota Yaris) or small SUVs (think Hyundai Santa Fe). Chevrolet dominates this country, to the tune of about 40% of the cars. Part of that is that they sell the entire Suzuki line of cars, as well as the Isuzu Trooper, here as Chevys, and I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a few other GM brand vehicles sold as Chevys here too (I have not seen any other GM brand cars under their proper brand). Hyundai is second at about 20%, Renault probably has about 10%, and the rest is split between Mitsubishi, Cintroen, Peugeot, Mazda and Volkswagen. Toyota is a minor player here, as well as Nissan and Daewoo. I’ve seen only a small handful of Hondas and Fords, a few Fiats, a few Skoda, a few Chery, maybe 3 BMW, 2 Porsche, 1 Jeep and 1 Dodge. I also saw one car from Tata Motors, the relatively new Indian company. It's kind of sad that there are as many Tatas here as there are Dodge and Jeep. The dominance of Chevrolet and the cross-branding was something that I noticed pretty quickly and thought was kind of interesting.

I finally got some pictures up from this weekend. Sorry for the delay, but you have no idea how long it takes to upload pictures on the internet connections I get down here….


The fountain in the middle of the Palacio de Gobierno complex.



The Palacio del Gobierno

La Catedral (the national cathedral)



This was the contraband picture from the inside of the cathedral (different from the one in the previous picture). Not a great shot, but it WAS from the belt, and you can see how ornate this place was.



The statue of La Virgen sits atop Panecillo, overlooking Quito.


From Panecillo, looking north (downtown Quito)

Looking south

Looking towards the northeast (downtown Quito visible in the sunny area to the left)


Looking north-northwest. Mt. Pichincha is on the left.

South downtown. La Basilica is visible at the top of the picture, and the smallish silver dome at the bottom left marks the general area of the Plaza de la Independencia with the Palacia de Gobierno and La Catedral.


That should keep you busy for a while.

SHOUT-OUTS GO TO: Travis Hafner (please find your swing). And Horse.

From Ecuador,
Andy

13 comments:

  1. oh my god, carlos santana, no contest. you're ridiculous if you even consider iron maiden. and what are you talking about "carlos santana" and "rock-off" not going together? have you ever listened to him? he is the single greatest hispanic rock guitarist of all time!!!! i will be sooo pissed at you if you don't go to that concert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome pictures!!! sorry i missed you today. We will talk soon.

    Miss you,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'd vote for Santana, he has some great music. But then I'm an old guy. And so is Carlos. (The Iron Maiden dudes have gotta be getting up there too though.)

    Those are great pictures! I imagined more trees, but I guess you are at a pretty high altitude. I'd love to hear how you talked the guards into letting you keep your camera...

    The news here has had very similar things to say about the Obama inauguration -- ABC news had a piece with people's reactions all over the world. Everyone was upbeat and hopeful that he would bring better relations. It's good to hear that the media is not just distorting this.

    Interesting about the Chevys. I knew that GM had some kind of ties with Suzuki, but I didn't realize how strong. (Did Chevy ever try to sell Novas in Latin America, or is that an urban legend?)

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Santana is Hispanic... so will you get extra credit for going to that one? Otherwise, I'd choose Iron Maiden, just so I could better picture how hilarious you'd be at an Iron Maiden concert.

    I love reading your updates and THE PICTURES ARE AWESOME. You should take more pictures of your familia!

    it sounds like you're having an amazing time. I'm so happy for you. Be safe!!!

    sistah love from Michigan... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no opinion on the concert deal (sorry!), but I do love the pictures! Mila is a doll!

    From the short time I've been in Europe, I've gotten the same impression. People are all excited about Obama, and as soon as they find out that we're from the US, they ask if we saw the inauguration (we didn't; we were on a plane). Several people made comments about how they loved his speech, so it's pretty cool that they are so caught up in all this that they even watched it.

    congrats on the midterm!

    LOVE the pictures! It sounds like you're having a really good time.

    love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy. I already told you. IRON MAIDEN. There is no contest.

    -Al

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks soooooooo beautiful!
    <3 Amy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoy reading your posts and keeping up with you here. The pictures are beautiful. It might be hard coming back home to the scenery here!

    I vote for Carlos Santana - what a talented musician! And to be able to go to one of his concerts would be really cool. Please take pictures of that!!!

    Speaking of pictures...the camera that YOU ARE LUCKY TO STILL HAVE takes really nice pictures. From what I can see though, that cathedral is gorgeous. Definitely tempting to take that picture...

    Good job on your test!... Can you post more pictures of your family? school? friends? ... Spring training is coming soon (less than 2 weeks?) and I've heard some really good interviews with players/management. They're looking forward to a good year (what a coincidence - so are we). That new complex down in Arizona looks nice. Maybe it will call for a road trip someday.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you dont see Iron Maiden, I will never speak to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a test every week when I took OChem over the summer. On the plus side it doesn't give you time to forget what you learned, but you've got to learn it right away.

    Sweet picture, man. I'm a fan of mountains and old architechure.

    Word, homely,
    -Joe H

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have to say go with santana.

    The effect of Obama on the world comes as a surprise to me. I didn't think that he had such a broad effect. Very cool to hear it from someone in the environment.

    And what are you complaining about a test a week?! I get two quizzes and at least a test a week this quarter!

    Lastly, I managed to get a skype account. So if you want to chat let me know a typical time. Or I will just meet up with katie and stuff.

    Keep it tangible bro,

    Mike S.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Andy,
    I talked to your mom last night and she told me all about your "blog". Just reviewed it and it's awesome. It's great to hear and see what you're doing. Living in a different culture is such a different experience than just visiting. Embrace and enjoy!

    I'd have to vote for Santana, he's a living legend.

    Take care,
    Love, Aunt Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. dear Andy,
    Those are some great pictures you've collected. I was just watching tv,reading my book, and playing my recorder, when my mom asked me if I wanted to see your website/blog. So I said sure. and when I looked through it, I thought it was great! My mom told me that you have a comment spot,but I wanted to read it before I commented, I mean, if you don't read what you are commenting about, what are you commenting about? So, I hope we see you soon.
    Love,
    Your Younger Cousin,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete