I'm sorry to those of you who will be hurt by this, offended by this, or will question my American heritage or my family lineage. I assure you that my parents did not raise me this way.
Don't say this aloud, don't spread it around, and CERTAINLY don't let the eyes and ears of anyone under the age of 18 go uncovered. Here goes....
I called soccer "football" the other day.
But it's not just me. Over the course of our first two weeks here in Ecuador, it's spread slowly yet strongly throughout our group like a nasty South American disease, and I'd estimate that it's overtaken nearly half of the group so far. There's still hope for those who have no passion for sport, no knowledge of the difference between football and futbol.... but this disease attacks most strongly those who enjoy their baselines, three-point lines, goal lines and betting lines. Many of us have succumbed. I even overheard one of my fellow pigskin-loving companions (who will remain anonymous to spare his family the shame) refer to soccer as "football," immediately followed by a reference to "football" as "American football." This is only a humorous situation to the sickest, most twisted and perverted minds. PLEASE help us find a cure. Checks can be made out to Andrew Smith. Every little bit will help us pay the tab we'll rack up at Mulligan's while watching the Super Bowl, for a great experience watching TRUE football.
In all seriousness, I can't wait to go to a soccer match of the Ecuador national team. Ecuador has traditionally been pretty bad, until the last four of five years, and the people here are excited about the team. We were told by students who came on this trip in the summer that we'll leave here loving the national team soccer matches as much as anyone else, and I see it starting to set in. I'm really, really pumped to go to a match, either with mi familia or a group of students. Of course, I'll never be able to go to another MLS game again after seeing real soccer with real fans, but whatever. Rumor has it the Ecuador jersey can be found at a local market about 6 blocks from school for about $14. This rumor will be explored to the fullest.
Got my second midterm back today, and it was good to the tune of a 94%. The final for Spanish 250 is this Thursday, and then I'll be done with my first class down here.
I've finally got pictures of mi familia! How excited are you?
This is my family. From left to right, Mila (sleeping), Cris, Mateo, Marta (my ecuabuela), Sebastian (cousin), Omar.
The women of the family.Cultural note of the day: The only traffic laws that are enforced here are "no talking on the cell phone while driving" and "wear your seat belt." Other than that, anything goes. This morning on the bus ride to school, the bus hit a pickup truck, 100% the bus's fault, stopped for a minute to contemplate what to do.... then kept driving. Also, last week, I saw a person dodging in and out of gridlock traffic on a motorcycle, with their infant sort of in their lap. These people are completely insane.
And speaking of INSANE, at church this Sunday, the very last part of the service, the pastor asked if there were any "his or byes," if anyone wanted to introduce themselves to the church. After a lot of other people went before me, I stood up and said, "Hi, I'm Andy, I'm from Akron, Ohio, and I'm a student at The Ohio State University, here studying Spanish for the quarter." Because of that, I then met the 50-year old couple from Anchorage, Alaska that I sat next to on the plane here that had been sitting two rows behind me the whole time, and THEN, I was approached by a family, and the dad shook my hand and introduced himself and said, "It's not often we hear Akron, Ohio mentioned around here." I asked him where in Akron, and he said, "Well, not really Akron. We (gesturing to his wife) are actually both from Bath." UNREAL! Turns out they both graduated from Revere, class of '88. His name is Dan Maloy (Sra. Lutz, Grandma Lamont, you recognize that name at all?), and I didn't catch his wife's name. I still can't get over how crazy that is, that there were three Revere alumni in that church Sunday morning (and four in Quito!) despite the small size of that school.
SHOUT-OUTS GO TO: Greg, the guy from Chicago who we met in the bar yesterday, and the girl back home that I miss a lot. And Horse.
From Ecuador,
Andy

Hey Andy!
ReplyDeleteThe real message in running into someone from Bath all the way in Ecuador is that you're watched even that far away - act appropriately! :) It sounds like you're having a blast. I'm enjoying your journey. After our trip to the Dominican last spring I can fully appreciate your comments about the driving - it's a whole different set of rules - or no rules. Have a great time! Love, Cindy
Andy, this soccer football/American football issue is actually a medical condition that arises when an American (or someone with the proper appriciation for real football) is imersed in a culture that does not recognise its true importance and insists upon calling (the clearly less manly sport) soccer football. It is actually a survival instict that the human brain, when faced with such a dire situation, will begin to refer to soccer as football to insure the 'victem' will live long enough to return home so they can recieve professional therapy.
ReplyDeleteThis therapy is basically a counter-imerrsion. Being surrounded by soccer heretics triggers this illness, so being surrounded by true believers in football and BASEBALL will quickly remedy your condition.
In other words, don't worry, its not permanent (except in a few rare cases when the victem is overseas without American sports influence for years at a time). You'll be right as rain just a few weeks after you return.
To help maintain you're American sports faith: What players are involved in a 4-6-3 double play?
Good luck,
Dr. Joe H. Ph.D, MD (Piled high and Deep, from Maryland)
Hi Andy!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to let you know that I am truly enjoying your blog! You are so funny and articulate and descriptive . . . vicarious traveling is almost as much fun as the real thing! and as I've told you before, your pictures are amazing! You are in my prayers.
Love, Aunt Peg
It's pretty neat that you met Dan Maloy and his wife. Mom said that his wife is the daughter of one of the former pastors at Ghent Church. Its possible that you met her before, although you wouldn't remember.
ReplyDeleteEven though you called soccer "football", I'm still proud of you. We'll set up an appointment with Dr. Joe H. when you get home; he will get you thinking straight.
Love Dad
Yeah dude, about time with the pics. It's almost like you don't realize your main priority is to keep us updated on every single thing you do, exactly when you do it.
ReplyDeleteAbout the whole sports thing... it's totally fine to support their national sport. Totally. But as other commenters indicate, remember baseball is your personal national sport.
Here's an excuse for you: in the native tongue, which you're supposedly learning although I know more Spanish than you without ever having taken a class in it, "futbol" is the word for soccer, and that sounds a heck of a lot like football. So it's ok, no harm no foul.
Word dog!
~Coop
Yay pictures! I am so glad that you were finally able to get them up! I think they'll still let you back into the US, even if you did call soccer "football," but I think you might be required to go to a few extra Indians' games or something to make up for it (maybe that will teach you to never make the same mistake again. or something).
ReplyDeletelove and hugs
we can discuss the soccer-football-futbol thing when you get back. In the meantime, you can score some points back by seeing Iron Maiden.
ReplyDeleteI CANNOT be the only person wondering who Horse is.
love and tacos (I ate them yesterday for dinner in your honor),
-Al
(either that or encourage more "mistakes"...)
ReplyDelete