I've got pictures from last weekend at Otavalo. I forgot to mention last Sunday afternoon, when we stopped to hike and take a boat ride around Laguna Cuicocha, which literally means "Guinea Pig Lagoon." The island in the middle of this lake are home to incredible numbers of wild guinea pigs, which are considered a delicacy here. Also, the lagoon is on top of the imploded dome of a volcano, which 3,000 years ago was one of the largest in the world. As proof that the volcano is still active, there are bubbles constantly floating to the surface of the water, and the water temperature is a balmy 45 degrees Fahrenheit, instead of the near-freezing temperatures a lake at that elevation should have.













So I found another activity/event that has been added to my list of things to do while I'm here in Quito: drunk bullfighting. The Quito Plaza de Toros is fairly close to my house, and I just recently asked if there would be any bullfights I could attend while I'm here. While the official answer is "no," apparently there are some semi-organized drunken parties that happen every once in a while in Quito where the locals get wasted and jump in a ring with the bulls. I will consider my time in Quito a failure if I don't manage to witness some drunken bullfighting before I leave.
Cultural note of the day: The car alarms here are INSANE. It takes nothing to set them off, they go off for no reason, and it happens any time of the day. I've gotten woken up at 3:00 AM several times because of someone's freaking car. I hate South American car alarms.
SHOUT-OUTS GO TO: Swenson's, BW3, Flying Pizza, Mirror Lake, Mary Coyle's, Donato's, Insomnia Cookies, Potbelly's, and all the other food I'm completely craving right now. And on a non-food note, Horse.
From Ecuador,
Andy

Oooh, guinea pig! Mmmm, what a treat... hey, it sounds better than haggis or something.
ReplyDeleteDude, why did you have to go and list all those amazing food places?? Now I'm craving it, too... Food... mmmmm...
amor y abrazos
Wow that is some really pretty scenery that you've captured, Andy. Nice job! I especially love how the mountains go right up into the clouds. It's all very beautiful. How cool to be in the midst of it too.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your weekend! Love you, Mom
Great pictures again, Andy. But no Cuicocha pictures. I suppose that if they are considered a delicacy, then they have enough smarts to stay away from humans. (From my experience with Cuicocha, I didn't think they were quite bright enough to make the connection...)
ReplyDeleteI love you, Buddy - Dad